Welcome to the Bridesburg PA Web Space
Memorial Day Parade is just around the corner
|Current Items||Bridesburg Thru the Lens to see more click the pic|
Point No Point
Origins of BRIDESBURG
A village south of Frankford Creek and upon a tract of land formerly belonging to Point-no-Point. It took its name from Joseph Kirkbride, who for many years was land-owner there and proprietor of a ferry over Frankford Creek, and to whom Legislature gave a right to build a bridge and receive toll for passage over the same by act of March 20,1811. On April 1, 1833, the County of Philadelphia bought the Kirkbride bridge and two and a half acres of land annexed for $5,500. Kirkbridesburg was considered too long a name for convenient use, and the shorter one was adopted Bridesburg was incorporated as a borough on April 1, 1848.